Business Licenses

Who Needs a Business License?

All businesses and individuals conducting business inside the City of Snohomish are required to obtain a City license. This includes all services and activities located and/or performed within the City limits and includes home occupations (running a business from your home), farmers market vendors, solicitors/canvassers, the rental of commercial property, and the rental of four or more rooms or apartments for residential use. Please see Snohomish Municipal Code Chapter 5.02 for a complete definition and license exemptions.

How to Apply

Businesses register with the City and state at the same time at State of WA Business Licensing Service. You will receive a master license from the state, showing both your City and state business licenses. Snohomish business licenses are renewed annually. For a list of fees please visit the State of Washington's list of variable business license fees.

There are three types of business licenses: 

  1. Snohomish General Business License: For businesses that are operating inside the City limits of Snohomish, including but not limited to mall spaces, farmers market vendors, home occupations and food trucks. Please list the actual business address of where you are doing business. I.e., the Snohomish Farmers Market address is 105 Cedar Avenue, Snohomish, WA 98290).
  2. Snohomish Home Occupation Business License: In addition to a general business license, applicants must ensure their application meets the requirements for a home occupation business license if running a business out of their residence in the City of Snohomish.  See additional information on Home Occupations below.  Click here to verify your home is located in the City limits.
  3. City of Snohomish Non-Resident Business License: for businesses located outside of City limits but coming into City limits to do business. 

When to Apply

A City business license should be obtained before beginning business. Please allow sufficient time for review of your application; the City shall approve or deny the license application within thirty (30) days of receipt of notification of application from the State of WA. Additional review time may be required for special licenses. 

What Other Licenses may be Required

  • Change of Use (required for all new businesses that represent a change in occupancy type for the space, such as a retail space changing to a restaurant, an office changing to retail, or a home changing to an office). Change of Use applications are processed through the Self-Service Permit Portal.
  • Special License forms, if applicable

Renewing your Business License

Existing business licenses are renewed with the State of WA Business Licensing Service

City of Snohomish or Snohomish County?

The license requirements of the City of Snohomish do not apply to businesses operating within unincorporated Snohomish County or other Snohomish County cities. Please verify that you will be conducting business in the City of Snohomish before applying for a City business license. 

If you are not sure whether your business activity is located within the City limits, please contact us

Home Occupations (home-based businesses)

Home occupations are businesses operated out of a residence, and are subject to the requirements of SMC 14.207.075(3). The purpose of these regulations is to maintain the residential character and reduce the impact of your business on the neighborhood. This means that if your business will have a lot of traffic, customers coming to the premises, emit noise, dust, or odors, require outdoor storage, or take up a significant area of your home (more than 25% of the floor area), then it may be better suited for a commercial district, rather than a residential neighborhood.

If you will be running your business out of your home, be sure to review the regulations of SMC 14.207.075(3) before submitting your business license application. City staff will review your application to ensure it meets the applicable regulations for home occupations. The State application asks whether you are conducting the business from a residence. If your answer is 'yes', it is processed as a home occupation. If your answer is 'no' but it appears the business location is a residence, City staff will contact you during our review of your application.

Parking and Business Improvement Area

Businesses located within the Historic Business District are subject to an annual Parking and Business Improvement Area (PBIA) fee which is assessed separately from your Business License. The PBIA fee is based on the type and square footage of the business.  Once the City receives confirmation of your business license application and payment from the State of WA the City will then send you an invoice for your PBIA fee assessment.

If you are not sure whether your business is within the Historic Business District (HBD), please review the Snohomish Planning Department’s Interactive Zoning Map. Use the search bar to enter your business address. If the location is pale pink, it is located in the HBD. If you are still unsure whether or not your business is subject to the PBIA fee, please contact us.

Historically the Historic Downtown Snohomish Association (HDSA) has been the recipient of funds from the PBIA tax for services rendered to the City of Snohomish in accordance with RCW 35.87A.010 Authorized—Purposes—Special assessments

For more information about the HDSA please visit or contact them at .

PBIA Fee Schedule:

No Longer in Business?

If you are no longer doing business in Snohomish and you wish to cancel your license, please contact the State of WA Business Licensing Service.

Starting a Business

Are you starting a new business? Or, perhaps you are an existing business owner interested in moving to the City of Snohomish. If so, please visit Starting a Business for an overview of things to keep in mind as you plan for your new or relocating business.