Starting a Business
Are you starting a new business? Or, perhaps you are an existing business owner interested in moving to the City of Snohomish. If so, please visit Starting a Business for an overview of things to keep in mind as you plan for your new or relocating business.
Who Needs a Business License?
All businesses and individuals conducting business inside the City of Snohomish are required to obtain a City license. This includes all services and activities located and/or performed within the City limits and includes home occupations, solicitors/canvassers, the rental of commercial property, and the rental of four or more rooms or apartments for residential use. Please see Snohomish Municipal Code Chapter 5.02 for a complete definition and license exemptions.
When to Apply
A City business license should be obtained before beginning business. Please allow sufficient time for review of your application; the City Clerk shall approve or deny the license application within thirty (30) days of receipt. Additional review time may be required for special licenses.
What is Required?
- A Washington State UBI number
- Non-refundable application fee (credit cards not accepted at this time)
- Business License Application
- Change of Use Application (required for all new businesses that represent a change in occupancy type for the space, such as a retail space changing to a restaurant, an office changing to retail, or a home changing to an office
- Home Occupation Permit Application (if business operates out of a residence within the City limits)
- Special License forms, if applicable
City of Snohomish or Snohomish County?
The license requirements of the City of Snohomish do not apply to businesses operating within unincorporated Snohomish County or other Snohomish County cities. Please verify that you will be conducting business in the City of Snohomish before applying for a City business license.
- Snohomish City limits interactive map (use the search bar to enter an address. If the property is outside the shaded area, it is not in the City of Snohomish).
- Snohomish County General Reference Map (for an idea of where the City of Snohomish is located in relation to other cities and unincorporated areas within Snohomish County)
Parking and Business Improvement Area
Businesses located within the Historic Business District are subject to an annual Parking and Business Improvement Area (PBIA) fee which is assessed with the business license application/renewal. The PBIA fee is based on the type and square footage of the business.
If you are not sure whether your business is within the Historic Business District (HBD), please review the Snohomish Planning Department's Interactive Map of Land Use Designations. Use the search bar to enter your business address. If the location is pale pink, it is located in the HBD. If you are still unsure whether or not your business is subject to the PBIA fee, please contact us.
For information regarding Parking and Business Improvement Area services and meetings please call Debbie Carlson-Gould, Promotions & Marketing Director for Historic Downtown Snohomish, at 425-330-0831.
No Longer in Business?
If you are no longer doing business in Snohomish and you wish to cancel your license, please contact us.